Makes 3 large rolls
Click here for a printable version of the recipe.
Make this with peaches, nectarines, apricots, or plumcots – whichever fruit your family loves and is in season. This makes a sweet snack and adds a lovely chewiness to salads, and grain dishes. Simply dice and sprinkle over, or stir into the dish.
4 pounds fully ripe fruit, pitted and sliced (about 8 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 150°F.
2. Puree the sliced fruit in a food processor or blender.
3. Place the pureed fruit in a large, heavy pan. Add the sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool until just barely warm.
4. Line three jelly-roll pans with wax paper and spread with the fruit mixture so that it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and comes to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
5. Bake with the door propped slightly open (to allow the moisture to escape for about 3 hours. The fruit leather should be slightly sticky and pull away from the wax paper. (If not, leave it in the oven until it does start to pull away).
6. Lift up about 1 inch and start rolling it over in the wax paper. Place in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or in the freezer for up to 6 months.