Creamy Pesto Potato Salad
Makes 6-8 Servings
If a creamy potato salad is a must for you, try this non-mayonnaise version that features a yogurt base along with fresh basil pesto. We augmented the potatoes with garden fresh green beans. A bit of Mediterranean flair was added with quartered artichoke hearts and the pickled punch of tiny capers. We tossed the warm potatoes with tangy plain yogurt, then added the pesto once cooled. This pesto version features pistachios instead of pine nuts, and adds the cheese separately in the last tossing of the salad. (This would be great with some orecchiette pasta added to the mixture as well.) You’ll find this to be a hearty salad full of great flavors.
3 pounds potatoes, waxy type
12 oz. green beans, trimmed, cut into one-inch lengths
15 oz. artichoke hearts, canned or frozen, quartered
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup pistachios
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
4 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
1. Scrub the potatoes well, cut into a 3/4-inch dice. Submerge the potatoes in a saucepan with cold water. Salt the water generously as you would for pasta. Over medium-high heat, bring the potatoes to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just tender to the tip of a knife. Do not overcook. Drain well. While still warm, toss the potatoes with the plain yogurt and continue to cool.
2. Blanch the green beans until just crisp-tender. Slice the artichoke quarters into quarters. Rinse and drain the capers. Add the beans, artichokes, and capers to the yogurt-tossed potatoes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the pesto by placing the basil, garlic, pistachios, salt and pepper in a food processor. Through the feed tube, drizzle in the olive oil. Remove and place in a bowl.
4. Grate the Parmigiano-Reggiano with a fine grater so that the cheese is nice and fluffy. Stir the cheese into the pesto.
5. Once the potatoes and vegetables are completely cool, toss with the pesto until well-combined. Chill until ready to serve.