Chicken Tikka Masala in a Slow Cooker
Bring the wonderful flavors of this classic Indian dish home any day of the week thanks to slow cooking techniques. It’s all about combining savory spices and aromatics with chicken slow-basted in coconut milk. The combination simmers to perfection proving, once again, that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts! Serve with fragrant basmati rice and generous sprinkles of chopped cilantro. This recipe makes a large quantity – great for freezer meals and delicious leftovers.
8 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 yellow onions, 1/4-inch dice
4 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger, about 2 inches
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, (more if you like “spicy”)
2 (14.5-oz.) cans small diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced, plus additional for garnish
2 cups basmati rice, (4 cups cooked)
4 cups chicken stock
1. Cut the chicken breasts into large bite-sized chunks. Place in the bottom of a 5-6 qt. slow cooker.
2. Prepare the aromatics, (onion, garlic, and ginger) and toss with the chicken.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and tomato paste until well combined.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the spices: cumin, paprika, salt, coriander, black pepper, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cayenne.
5. Add the combined spices to the coconut/tomato mixture; stir well. Pour over the chicken. Add the tomatoes and toss to coat the chicken pieces; spread evenly in the slow cooker.
6. Cook the dish on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. In the last 30 minutes, cook the rice in chicken stock using a 2:1 liquid-to-grain ratio. At 15 minutes prior to serving, add the yogurt and cilantro to the chicken; allow to reheat. Serve over rice garnishing with additional minced cilantro.