Creamy Tortellini Soup
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup half n’ half
1 package refrigerated tortellini (we like cheese!)
8 oz fresh spinach
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, plus more to garnish
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1. In a large soup pot sauté the onion, celery, and carrots in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3-5 minutes over medium-high heat until they begin to soften. Add the cayenne, salt, and pepper to the aromatics as they cook.
2. Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the tortellini and continue to simmer.
3. Meanwhile, with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, mix with the flour using a fork to mash together. Form rough balls of the mixture. Add them to the soup. The butter-coated grains of flour (beurre manié) will thicken the soup while avoiding any clumping. Slowly stir in the half n’ half.
4. Once the soup is creamy and thickened, add the parsley and spinach, and stir until wilted. Taste and add more salt and pepper according to taste.
5. Serve with generous garnish of chopped parsley.