Egg Strata with Sausage and Green Chiles
Prepare this festive strata the night before when serving breakfast for a crowd. The rich flavors of breakfast sausage, eggs, and cheese are perfectly complimented by savory onions, peppers, and roasted green chiles. We love this dish because it is easy, yet hearty. It also reheats well for anyone who might have slept through breakfast.
2 tablespoons butter
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb. breakfast sausage (we used chicken sausage)
6 slices of bread, cubed
6 oz. pepper jack cheese, coarsely shredded
8 large eggs, beaten
1 cup half-‘n-half
1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles
1. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion and red pepper in butter until the onion is translucent and the peppers softened. Place the sautéed onions and peppers in a 9 x 13 casserole baking dish.
2. In the same sauté pan, brown the sausage. Break up any chunks into small crumbles. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate to drain excess grease.
3. Meanwhile, cube the slices of bread into 1" cubes and shred the cheese. Set aside.
4. Crack the eggs in a small bowl, and whisk until beaten. Add the half-‘n-half, mustard powder, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper to the eggs, and whisk again.
5. Add the cooked sausage, bread, cheese, and green chiles to the strata pan. Carefully, mix together with the onions and peppers. Pour the egg mixture over the strata, cover, and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
6. An hour before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the strata for 50-55 minutes or until golden and puffy, and the internal temperature in the center reaches 165°F. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.