Rainbow Power Bowl
Eating colorfully is a good reset goal for this time of year! To be a colorful eating means embracing a variety of fruits and vegetables. By selecting a range of beet varieties, this bowl becomes quite colorful. Imagine using rainbow carrots or rainbow chard instead of kale, and the bowl's namesake is taken to a whole new level. You’ll find this power bowl hearty and filling with with a delightful composition of interesting textures and flavors. Simply follow the rainbow to this bowl of nutritional gold!
3 beets, thinly sliced and roasted
1 cup quinoa, dry then cooked according to directions below
2 carrots, shaved into ribbons
1 small bunch kale, massaged
1 can (15 oz.) white beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Lemon-Tahini Dressing (see below)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons water (as needed to thin)
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Carefully peel and slice the beets into 1/4-inch slices. In a large roasting pan, spread the beets in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast at 450°F for 15-20 minutes, or until tender to the tip of a knife.
2. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa using 2 cups of water or chicken stock. If using water, salt lightly. (Quinoa uses a ratio of 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid.) In a saucepan, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Turn to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked to tenderness. When the quinoa is done, the individual grains will show a small curlicue.
3. Peel the carrots. Create shaved ribbons with a vegetable peeler.
4. Prepare the kale by removing the stems. Chop or tear the kale leaves. Massage with a sprinkle of Kosher salt and olive oil.
5. Rinse the white beans; drain well.
6. Whisk the dressing ingredients together until combined well.
7. Arrange the beets, quinoa, carrots, kale, and beans in a large, individual shallow bowls. Top with the dressing, and serve.