Three Mushroom Ravioli with Marsala Cream Sauce
Makes 24 ravioli - Serves 4
Basic Pasta Dough Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mushroom Filling Ingredients:
1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms,
2 oz cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
2 oz shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
Marsala Cream Sauce:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large shallot, finely diced
4 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup dry Marsala wine
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
Chives, minced as garnish
Directions for Mixing Pasta Dough by Hand:
1. Working on a generous working surface, place the flour in a mound in the center of the board. Sprinkle the salt across the top of the mound.
2. Make a 4-inch well in the middle of the flour, crack two eggs into the well.
3. Using a fork, scramble the eggs without breaking the flour "walls." Gradually incorporate flour from the sides of the well until all flour is incorporated and a rough ball is formed.
4. Dust the surface with flour, and knead the dough for 5-7 minutes. Add additional flour periodically to keep the dough from getting too sticky. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
5. Let the ball of pasta dough set covered under a bowl, or plastic wrap for 15 minutes to promote relaxation of the glutens. The dough may be left to rest longer, up to 30 minutes. As it rests, it will become increasingly softer and easier to roll into the required thin sheets.